It’s the first Sunday that actually feels like fall. I know, blogs commonly (or always) cover the topic of weather, but I’m writing this for my own record-keeping purposes.
Clocking in at (a deceptive) 72 degrees in Chicago today, I walked home from Lincoln Park fully clothed and still felt cold. Yes, I’m notoriously chilly most of the time, but I can’t believe on August 17th we’ve reached the point of cooler breezes, zip-ups, and thick, hand-warmingly hot mugs of tea.
To commemorate this date, I’m currently roasting garlic in my oven to make a creamy roasted garlic and asparagus soup. I also picked up a serious bounty of vegetables yesterday at the farmers’ market, including some gorgeous radishes, vibrant green onions, and greeny, glorious purslane. I’ve never used purslane before, so I’m hoping I can find ways to work it into my kitchen menu this week.
And if you’re wondering where the above piece of cake comes from (chocolate cake, chocolate frosting, topped with marshmallow…um…hi) I was served this after eating a generous helping of ratatouille quiche and sipping on espresso with almond milk at The Allis Lounge, a cafe inside the recently opened Soho House Chicago in Chicago’s West Loop neighborhood.
I’m beyond excited and honored to be an Under 27 Founding Member of Soho House Chicago – especially after seeing how this club prioritizes creativity and collaboration. The fantastic news is that you don’t have to be a member to enjoy many of the amenities that Soho House Chicago has to offer – namely, Brendan Sodikoff’s Chicken Shop and Pizza East restaurants, as well as the cafe, where I peacefully ate a late brunch and got lost in a good book yesterday afternoon. If you’re in the West Loop area, stop by and take a look around – it’s right across the street from Green Street Smoked Meats, High Five Ramen, and RM Champagne Salon.
Here’s what I’ve been reading/hearing about this week:
- Starbucks “PSL” or Pumpkin Spice Latte will make its earliest debut EVER this year – August 25th. Just…why?
- Speaking of lattes, nut milks are obviously #sohotrightnow…but what are this drink’s downfalls? I found this post to be incredibly informative
- Ultra marathoning exists. That means running 70 miles, in some instances. Let’s not talk about how many I can or cannot run…
- A diet that will help you balance your hormones – great post from The Holy Kale
- Here’s what French kids eat as their school lunch. True or not, it’s exciting to imagine the potential for kids’ lunches here in the States
- Feeling lazy? Here’s how to make yourself work
- The New York Times caused quite a stir this past week with “Don’t Let Your Children Grow Up to Be Farmers“…yikes
- Thanks to the Trib for this awesome resource – 100 cookies classes in the Chicago area!
- This food blog brings me joy – I love stumbling upon great content and gorgeous photos
Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!